Saturday, September 07, 2002

PURPLE HAZE

At the village train station, still in the residual throes of commuting zombosis I was getting on my bike to head home up the evening mountain when I noticed a huge nuclear explosion across the Lake.

Actually I couldn't see the Lake, or the opposite shore, because of a postsummer purple haze that in my last moments reminded me of Jimi Hendrix, but the big bright scarlet mushroom was at the right height to be far beyond the opposite shore, then my regaining mind automatically began to seek more acceptable explanations and for a moment I thought it might be the setting sun but alas I realized I was looking east so forget that, so maybe it was some kind of bizarre new sun-reflecting building someone was building over there - perhaps an avante-garde anodyzed neon pinball parlor - but then I could see it was growing slowly and steadily, right before my eyes, just like an atomic explosion, and what else but a nuke gives a slowly growing red mushroom like that, maybe from North Korea, or could it have to do with the Middle East, and so I watched what might be the end of my world erupt ever so slowly into what, sadly, before the recent changes in the world I would have recognized right away as the huge, vivid scarlet harvest moon...

(This post is a journal entry from last year, when the harvest moon was on October 2; this year, it will be on September 21; mark it on your calendar! This addendum is thanks to Fred First, who has a fine country blog.)