Wednesday, September 15, 2004


THEY KNOW THEIR PLACE

"The ratio of women among those who completed higher education in Japan was the lowest in the 30-member Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in 2003, according to the organization's survey..."



When I first came to Japan I was teaching English at a world-renowned company in Tokyo; one of my classes there comprised a few of the female workers, who unlike the men all wore cutesy-sexy uniforms. I remember asking one of the women what she thought about her work, and she said she hated having to serve tea to all the men and to replace the flowers on the managers' desks very morning, which was pretty much all she did; I asked if she had any higher education, thinking to perhaps encourage her in that direction; she said "Yes, I have a master's degree in higher mathematics." Women here know the future. Most of the women I know who have higher degrees have left the country.

[Article followed by many interesting comments on the subject from those in the know. RB]

~~~~~~~~~

No comments: