Monday, August 17, 2009


LIFE WITH PANTS


Nobody ever says much about pants, which would be like talking about air. Most pants are just fashionable or fundamental covering, but the right pants for the job are just as valuable as the right tool for the job, as I'm now rediscovering. (Another priceless benefit of aging is the almost daily discovery of another thing I used to know.)

What brought pants to mind was that I just got some new carpenter's pants, with lots of pockets and tool-carrying arrangements from Gempler's (5 days shipping!) that are just what I need for gardening, firewooding and general rousting about among rocks, trees, dirt, axes, chainsaws, weedwhackers, other heavy-duty tools and all the things that go to make up the daily home life of an eclectic character who lives on the side of a mountain in Japan, with all that that entails.

I will make good use of those reinforced knees, those reinforced pocket openings, handy cargo pockets and other little pockets, and those right-there loops and tags for the tools and the myriad things I take with me when I leave the house, so that whenever I'm ready to tackle a task and don't have the right tool on me I don't have to walk back from wherever I am, take off my boots, galump back inside and get the damn tape measure or whatever it might be, which happens all the time with the lesser pants (there are hierarchies of pants) I've been wearing for some years that were designed for skateboarders, their movements and catastrophic tumbles, with crucial reinforcements against sudden impact and extended abrasion, plus key grommeting, gusseting and what not - great pants for wild action and rapid deceleration, but not great for broad-spectrum utility. Moreover they are now worn out and have holed pockets; also, they were built for the Japanbody, and like the shoes here never fit me quite right, but they were cheap at the local youngster store because there are no skateboarders out here in the countryside where kids have actual physical things to do, so the pants languished on the rack until I came along and got them for a mere price. I wish them well wherever departed pants go.

Out in the garden the new pants can carry everything I need, with me in the middle.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

Waiting patiently for your wife's comments when she does the laundry...!

Ann said...

I am also a fan of double kneed pants with reinforced pockets though I prefer Dickies over Carharts.

Mage said...

Even for one such as I, I find those really useful. Is that pocket leather reinforced too?

Robert Brady said...

Yes, the front pockets are leather reinforced; the rear pockets are reinforced with some type of metafabric. The pockets on my ex-pants are all worn away because I'm always hurriedly pocketing things w/my work gloves on.

I'll check out the Dickies pants Ann mentions, though (recommendations are beyond price)-- And in re Tabor, I'll report on any Echo comments about the gardening pants laundering aspect...