Wednesday, June 27, 2012


BOOKS AND PENS

Now that I've had my Kindle Fire for a couple of months, I saw a guy reading a physical book the other day on the train and felt a touch of how old-fashioned it was, turning paper pages, page after page... The pace of tradition...

My Kindle isn't even nearly filled, despite all the free (public domain is vast!) and purchased books it contains (before too long it will hold more books than I have in physical form, a voluminous heaviness of former trees, believe me!) What's more, I can find any of those ebooks within seconds. (I don't know where the hell my actual copy of Emerson among the Eccentrics is; it's in one of those boxes in one of those rooms upstairs, knock yerself out.)

On top of that, when I summon any one of my ebooks from their endless bookshelf, it opens to where I was last reading. Also each word is a link to a dictionary, there is also wi-fi for interneting, and I can read in the dark without turning back and forth to get to page after page, also keeping hands warm in winter. I can read even a 2000-page book without danger of falling asleep and injuring myself. Physical books seem so HEAVY now... I used to carry two books max in my bag; now I carry hundreds in the weight of one.

I look at my stacks of physical books and boxes of physical books and rooms of physical books and shelves of physical books made from who knows how many pulverized trees that over the decades I have bought and read and kept and stacked and boxed and dusted and lifted and carried and moved from home to home and shipped both domestically and abroad, put into and taken from vehicles and picked up at the post office and lifted into rooms and unboxed and shelved and reboxed to make room for new books, back in the days when the world was going postal...

And fountain pens, remember fountain pens? In grammar school I learned the Palmer method (!) of cursive writing(!) with a steel-nibbed(!) quill pen(!) dipped into an inkwell(!), an inkwell set into the desk itself! Is that immediately post-stone age or what? Back then, fountain pens were sold everywhere, even in pharmacies! Like books! All professional men had a fountain pen clipped to their shirt pocket.

But the inky fountains were soon being backgrounded like so much else in this modern age; you gotta wonder where it's all heading now, as those beautiful things (like the Japanese writing brush of not so long ago, now exclusively an art form, like Western calligraphy is fast becoming) being shunted into the past where they'll be missed by those who remember, but what will my great-great-great grandchildren do with a fountain pen if they can find one?

I feel the same kind of thing I feel now when I come across my beloved old Mont Blanc: I love it, and love writing by hand, which draws from the mind the rhythms and breathings, the flowings and secret urges of words, lost to those who learn to merely tap on a keyboard. I love writing by hand as much as I love physical books-- I've always worshiped the reality and magic that pens and the books contain in their silence, always loved their heft and scent, the sound of the ink flowing out onto page, from page into eyes, into meanings... how can that become anachronism?

Armfuls of books, roomfuls of eloquence, pages of elegance written by hand, all heading for long ago now; we elders are the formal bearers of these things into the past, where books and pens will one day be like hieroglyphs on stone walls beneath desert sands...

After us they will become mysteries, and will have experts down the ages to tease out their secrets, but they will no longer be lived...


It goes without saying that I'm keeping my books and my pens.


7 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I can't give up my books... tho, I keep getting teased when I see my daughter's kindle... Eventually, I will get one which will keep my bookcases from bulging...

WOL said...

I've had a Kindle Fire for a while myself and just love it. I have apps on it that let me connect to internet radio and to my on-line music service (Rhapsody), so I can listen to music over earbuds while I read (Heaven!) I also have a cover that doubles as a stand, so I don't even have to hold the thing to read. But you know, I love comic strip collections and webcomics, and graphic novels, and illustrations. I have treasured facsimile copies of the original editions (annotated!) of the Alice books with the original John Tenniel illustrations, the facsimile editions of all the Pooh books with the original Shepherd illustrations, and I have wonderful story books with gorgeous illustrations, etc., and those kinds of books just don't work well on the small screens of the readers -- Oh, they might work on an iPad, but I'm not going to nip out and buy one. I'll end up paring my library down to just those illustrated books -- that in itself would cut 7 shelves full down to about 3 -- and maybe sell all my other dead tree editions of books that are just print on Amazon. . . .

Rob said...

You've got 20 years or so on me, Bob, but still your words ring true. I've owned a kindle fire for several months and what's now called the kindle keyboard for a couple of years. For simply reading, the kindle keyboard is better and the battery lasts days and days... Still, there's just something about the smell, the texture, the sound of a turning page, the heft (not to mention the fact that it doesn't require a recharge) to real paper books. I do, quite often find myself missing the instant definition when reading a paper book, and sometimes the ability to search easily for that one line somewhere near the middle of the book...or was it the middle of the second half....oh, damn, I can't find it...yes, that ability to search for a specific passage. They have their place, these new tools, but they are not a replacement for old technology. As it happens, I ordered two fountain pens Tuesday (to augment the 3 I already own) and tomorrow morning I'll shave with an old style single blade safety razor. I've spent a large part of my life making a living on the cutting edge of technology, but some "improvements" really aren't.

Tamakikat said...

I like this post!

I'm still old school when it comes to books but can see why the Kindle is worth the raves it gets. It seems a great way to get wi-fi when traveling too.

I miss using fountain pens. I was a great fan in junior and senior high school.

Mary Lou said...

I too, have a kindle. The first one that came out, and I do like it, but Rob is correct, there is nothing like a rel book to flip back and forth to find a certain character, or to remember what I forgot about the plot...I still buy books from Amazon, but I also buy Kindle books, for vacations, and traveling. But for bedside, MY HARDBACK BOOKS!

Victor said...

I love books. One of my dreams is to have a private library full of all kinds of awesome books.

web design ventura said...

I love reading books, but I often found it very boring. Yes, I remember those days back at school and offices, professional men had a fountain pen clipped to their shirt pocket. You will really know that they're bookish and stuff.