Monday, April 02, 2007

BRADY 50, MONKEYS ZERO

I don't know where they are these days, all those no-account marauders, they must have jobs or something in the city, because I've been snagging major mushroom output from my shiitake logs for a week now, in the morning I walk to the mushroom sector in complete confidence and find fruition there, nothing says 'Here I am!' like a ready shiitake mushroom, its moist brown round wings outspread in a unique show of deliciousness soon enjoyed.

Amid such largesse I take all the biggest ones, leave the others to grow bigger yet, and even if the monkeys were to come today while I'm not looking, it is as nothing to me, for I'm too far ahead this year for the hairy losers ever to catch up to my score, I'm already many dozens of mushrooms ahead in this lopsided contest, put a big five-oh up on the scoreboard just today, setting a new record for one morning, those turkeys are just gonna have to find another line of work, which I suppose they're busy doing right now. Clearly not much future for them in the mushroom line.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to fight for mushrooms with sheep, and I lost (i.e. I moved...). How frustrating to see the brown hat of a delicious boletus with the denture marks of that white beast! When I found a baby boletus I used to cover it up with a branch and come back a couple of days later, but it sure was hard work to get a decent crop. Ah, those sheep. Where I come from we have some beautiful beaches, and if you photograph them in the sunset they sure look like something out of the Caribbean. Until you spot the sheep, that is.

Anonymous said...

Robert, you sound too happy. Could you be covering up the fact that you are lonesome? Missing the monkeys? Funny how when an old adversary we've worked so hard for so long to get rid of, does not show up, we miss them and long for the good old days of strategizing and tilting with them. Aaahhhh... the sport of it all...

Robert Brady said...

Now that I've heard Annette's tale of sheep and mushrooms, I realize maybe monkeys aren't so bad; at least they don't hang around all the time... Plus, the victory does give an extra savor to the mushrooms I get... Not that I miss the hairy marauders at all...

Anonymous said...

HMMMM Me thinks that possibly there is a new house further up the mountain that has much better food in their garden than you do? Better go check it out!

Robert Brady said...

Now that you mention it, Mary Lou...