Sunday, October 04, 2009


SOBA
NOODLES CLASS IN TOKYO

I've been a big a soba (buckwheat noodles) fan ever since I came to Japan, and Echo comes from Shinshu (Nagano Prefecture), one of, if not the, renowned soba sources in Japan. "Shinshu soba" is a magic phrase. When we travel, we're always on the lookout for authentic local soba restaurants. Here is an excellent photographic and explanatory detailing of the soba noodle-making process, "one of the most spectacular cooking skills one can hope to learn in Japan." And with an English-speaking sensei (teacher)!

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I am so in agreement. My husband and I love soba and it is such a pleasure stopping for good soba on a cold Japanese night after a day of travel. I wish I could remember the name of our favorite place.

Robert Brady said...

I'm there! And a heap of zaru soba to dip into chilled sauce w/wasabi and fine-cut scallions in the heat of summer! m-m-m-m-M!