Friday, June 11, 2010


BUMBLEBEE


Lying abed this sunny morning, gazing up through the skylight I watched an aerodynamically impossible bumblebee hover right there on the blue air, chunky silhouette held up by one small wingblur on each side, taking advantage of the air currents above the warming roof to hover with that great perspective, whirling and scanning the morning surroundings in a focused quest for nectar-bearing flowers, suddenly going WHOA and instantly veering radically away to safety each time a bird or large insect flew anywhere nearby, then quickly back on point hoverwhirling and scanning, scouting for the wherewithal of survival.

It occurred to me lying there below that my morning empty mind was feeling some sort of kinship with that activity up there, and that perhaps each of us humans has in our nether makeup such an ancient familiar, a spirit-bumblebee always hovering above the roof watching, scanning, scouting for wherewithal, every now and then going WHOA! How important then, to never lose contact with that bumblebee.


2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I saw my first bumblebee a few days ago... He/she was floating from flower to flower on one shrub, u would of thought he/she was drunk... Got a few pics but just couldn't get that perfect pose ...

Robert Brady said...

These days, I'm glad at every bee I see.