Thursday, October 07, 2010


TO SAY NOTHING OF A LA MODE

Every nation is renowned for not having certain things. One of the things Japan is famed for not having is cherry pie. At least in this blog. It's been two years now since I had any cherry pie, a salacious, not to say orgiastic, event that recurred serially when I visited the US and cherry pie was everywhere. I could hardly stick out a fork without hitting a cherry pie. Can one ever forget one's native pastries?

In that pieful eden I couldn't wander in one of those hangar-like corner supermarkets without coming upon rows and rows of racks and racks of cakes and cookies and donuts, real donuts, soft and spicy, not the merely sugared image, plus of course pies of all kinds of berries and fruits, nuts and custards and creams, cherry pie comprising a large number of the whole-crust and lattice-crust versions dripping gobbets of ruby juice and displaying their crustily inimitable deliciousness; still, I had restraint-- I only bought one or two at a time, rarely three or four. Discipline is always with me.

To this declaration of currently chronic pie deficiency (which seems to intensify as the weather becomes chillier and visions of juice-laden crust come rising from the delirious depths), some goody-goody type folks might later elbow-comment: Oh you can get pies at a lot of places in (name Japanese city of multimillions), but I'm not talking about ittybitty acculturations that cost fifty dollars, I'm talking about those huge, deep creations of the cherry-pie making god-families who for hundreds of years have been making pies that are as far from tofu as you can get and cost six or seven dollars.

Not that I have anything against tofu, I love tofu, always have, enjoy it regularly, a great food and highly nutritional in its way, but only one small spec on the dietary spectrum. Like life itself, nutrition and the diet inhabit vast spans that call for commensurate balance, not the piddling balance of food that is merely said to be 'good' for you. I'm talking big scales here, transcending just the body-- cosmic balance is the ticket, and in my book a big thick wedge of that ticket is cherry pie.

Here in the pieless island nation, after each cosmicly nourished return from the cherry pie continent my dreams were crowded with flying cherry pies and land-based cherry pies you could climb onto bearing a cosmic hunger, with a spoon like a shovel. (Pay no attention to those pieless old Freudians over in the corner.) Two years without cherry pie can do that to a man. To say nothing of a la mode. Of actually chocolate ice cream.


8 comments:

pserean said...

Hello.
I've never tasted cherry pie... cherries are wildly expensive in my country, so when I do get my hands on it, I tend to marvel at them first, and then eat them whole and spit out the pips like a little witch from Eastwick.
anyways- lovely writing. I think I'm going to have some ice cream:)

June Calender said...

I have been reading your blog quite a while, perhaps two years, perhaps a bit more. I seem to remember a similar rap about cherry pie-lessness in Japan. Definitely I have the impression cherry pie is your favorite of all those American pie types. I can sympathize but actually had a wonderful apple/cranberry pie only hours ago -- no, not cherry.

Mage said...

I think it is time you get a cherry pitter from your brother and take up making your own cherry pies. So there. :)

Robert Brady said...

Unfortunately, monkeys - who work full time daily - really love a certain raw material used in making such pies. Thus was man forced to dream.

Unknown said...

I read this as: dear friends over in the states, please do send me a cherry pie ... be sure, if I lived over there I would send you one

greetings from Germany

Gina

Robert Brady said...

Gina, I get my fix of cherry and various other pies every couple years when I go back to the States... I just rant now and then over here, the way pieless expats often do... If someone sent me a cherry pie here I wouldn't be able to eat it, for all too soon it would be gone and only crumbs would remain of my dreams... Paradoxical I know, but chronic pielessness can be that way...

Anonymous said...

hey, fellow ex-pat. have you tried cobbler from themeatguy.jp? pretty decent stuff...

Robert Brady said...

Thanks, Anon, hadn't heard of this site before; I eat minimo meat, but this looks good dessertwise (that cherry cobbler + Brooklyn cheesecake!) also has xlnt cheese choices, quantities etc., w/ lo shipping... will def try it out!