Wednesday, April 25, 2012



MOUNTAIN LESSONS

Maybe it was sheer coincidence, but then again more likely not. The universe knows what it's doing and has a way of putting the lessons you need right in front of your nose or eyes or heart or foot as the case may be, though you generally have to be paying attention to note that it's not just a matter of luck that you took that particular turning, so when today I went out on the deck at precisely that time in the late afternoon when, as day was turning into night, all the soil that had been warming in the sun all day, all the vegetation that had been living in the light all day, gave a vast sigh at the peak of luxury and an invisible perfume of local satisfaction came wafting across the fields and filled the spirit of anyone lucky enough to have entered the theater of the air at just that moment, and today it was me. I just stood there nose up, breathing deep, sensing all the joy that all those plants, all that forest, all those ponds, all those fields, entire mountains and the Lake had been creating all day long and were willing to share with anyone who cared to join in. What food it was for the body roots. My spirit rose through the duff of my habits like a stem pushing up and out of the ground to bring a flower into the air.


4 comments:

WOL said...

"The theater of the air" -- now there's an image to ponder over and dream upon.

Mage said...

And you leave us smiling.

Deb said...

As always I leave your site breathless with the freshness of your imagery. What a joy and a gift to read your work. I know as writers we all have our own style, and it's as useless as buttons on eggs to try to adopt another's style, but I wish I could. Oh, how I wish I could.

Robert Brady said...

Deb, you are too kind; your style is already a garden all its own and ever new. I look forward to your Zen garden words...