Friday, March 28, 2003

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


SO MANY DO.

Regarding the previous post, I remembered a letter sent by an American to a Japanese English-language newspaper not long ago. I post portions of it here:

"Since leaving Japan on January 31 and returning to America, all I have thought about is returning to Japan, a place I often used to criticize but have come to realize as my lifeline. [...] To my astonishment, most people in America believe that everyone in Japan wants to live in America. In Japan, though, I had found out that wasn't true. Many Japanese have no desire to leave their well-grounded society. [...] In America, I'm without feelings of being grounded or having family. In Japan, even as a foreigner with no relatives, I felt everyone was family. All of my American associates residing in Japan should take in as much as they can, for life won't get any better. I will return!"

No comments: