Tuesday, May 09, 2006


GONE COMPLETELY FISHIN'


I'm not much of a fisherman myself, but I couldn't help notice that the high point of America's Compleat Angler was catching a 3.5-kg (7.5 lb) stocked bass in an artificial lake on his instant ranch. Seems like a pretty low high-point for a two-term American presidency, but then I'm too young to remember the Grant administration.

Of course, the guy was only trying to be folksy and down-to-earth, which gives the world quite a bit of insight into his mind and how how it perceives his role as world spokesman for the only remaining superpower. Guess "Mission Accomplished" was undersized and had to be thrown back.

I'm not president of anything, but as the highlights of my past five years I'd name the birth of my three beautiful granddaughters and every single one of their visits here, with my beautiful daughter and her handsome, smart and talented husband.

No fish comes to mind, except maybe the 4-kg bass my son Keech caught in the pond a couple of years ago. His own personal high points are a lot higher than that fish, but then he'd make a better president.

*****

The actual interview transcript. Excerpt: "The interesting thing about him [George Washington] is that I read three -- three or four books about him last year. Isn't that interesting?"

5 comments:

Chancy said...

Give George Bush a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach George Bush to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Robert Brady said...

Maybe even reach a new high point of his presidency...

Tabor said...

I won the bet on this one...too bad there was no money involved.

Mary Lou said...

Now now Robert...Give the poor guy a break! I am sure he thought he was making somebody's day by telling them he enjoyed fishing.

tsk tsk,

Robert Brady said...

Yeah I can feel that, Mary Lou, as I indicated; I'd do the same thing myself, as a private individual... But if I'd been a hassled president of the US for 5 years and governor of a big state before that, I'd know enough by now to at least try to avoid looking like a fool in the eyes of an especially critical world. So either he hasn't learned a thing in the past 20 years or he just doesn't care what the world thinks anymore, neither of which bodes well...