Thursday, August 17, 2006


ARACHNIDAL UPDATE


Checked again this morning and found that long-legged Madame Argiope had elected to move her web elsewhere; she just ate up her entire work for later and moved on. Talk about efficiency. I think I saw her out the window early this morning, slowly descending from the wild cherry tree in front of the house, that's a much better location; rich pickings there, I expect, and it's not a pathway for any large creatures, even on motorcyles.

Here's a good site about spiders; in fact it's the arachnology home page. And another good one demonstrating the stages of web weaving.

3 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Amazing. Apparently your earlier run-in with her was just a minor setback. Wouldn't you just love to relocate your whole kit-n-kaboodle so efficiently.

Tabor said...

Unfortunately I have 'gazillions' (not an exaggeration) at the new house. I cannot walk out any door or cross any arch without getting a web in my face. While I am empathetic we are going to have to reach some compromise here!

Maya's Granny said...

I'm so glad that she found a good spot. Industry deserves its reward. May she catch all the bugs she needs and lay lots of eggs.