Wednesday, August 09, 2006


WILD ALBACORE TUNA! MINIMAL MERCURY!


'Wild' tuna? (Yes, tuna is now farmed...)

Advertisers are really fine-tuning the phraseology these days, aren't they.

Kindly note as well that we have come to a place in our history, and that of our world, where "minimal mercury" is a strong selling point, a distinct marketing advantage, a definite plus over the maximally toxic alternative...

"Of course, the minimal mercury is the icing on the cake--we all want health benefits from the food we eat," says 'reviewer' 'honeybee'...

I'll pass on that minimal mercury, though; I'm old enough to remember zero...

I think we've turned a corner I'd hoped we'd never get near...

What is the nearest habitable planet, anyway?

5 comments:

Tabor said...

I don't know which is worse...blogger spam (see preceeding comment) or mercury in the tuna. Everyone is worried about whether seafood is healthy to eat and no one seems to be concerned about the health of the ocean!!

Robert Brady said...

Guess there'll always be vacuous polluters, virtually living indexes of their own absence...

J said...

Maya is afraid to eat fish because she hears so much about the mercury. That breaks my heart. I tell her, moderation in all things, and I wonder how long before she'll be right, and the safe amount to eat will be none.

jay lassiter said...

minumal mercury? is almost sounds like a punk band.

I don't fancy tuna, but the notion that "not quite as toxic" is a selling point it a bit bewildering.
jay

Anonymous said...

I'm old enough to remember zero too. When I was a child growing up near the coast in Southern California, the adults would go out on the fishing boats and bring home albacore and yellowfin. We loved having our own tuna...but I don't eat it these days.