Tuesday, December 26, 2006


FRENETICITY


One thing I used to enjoy back in my younger, more existential days was that general sense of the frenetic that seemed to whitewater through just about everything. One is flexibly equipped for such torrents at that age, and the frenetic seemed always ready to oblige by occurring randomly at all hours, especially to guys living the kind of lifestyle Mick and I lived back in the days when time was entirely different in nature than it is now.

One of the big pluses of the eventually (but not too soon, God) conscientiously lived life is that you can at last congratulate yourself not only on having made it through all that, but on having actually paid some attention as you rushed along a mere twig in the blur, thereby earning the time, as now, to sit back on the deck with your wine in the vast solitude of evening and ponder such things at your selected leisure...

Still, you do miss it sometimes, that mad Niagara of moments over the edge of being, you're sure you could still handle it, even though you no longer need to-- but it would be fun to try it again-- with more experience now of course, just to see how far you can still advance into the frenzy and emerge in one piece, all the wiser for it...

That's another of the many wonderful reasons there are grandchildren.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't miss the mad rush, although I often wish I could reclaim the energy.

Grandchildren are wonderful. :)

Anonymous said...

"... that mad Niagara of moments over the edge of being ..."

Great string of words that paints such a vividly real picture. Yes, good to reminisce, and somedays I think I could handle most of it again (except for the blown out knees), but I'm damn glad I don't have to. These dwindling days of reflecting, introspection, gazing out over the railing and my wine glass with focus on nothing in particular -- this seems to be life's reward for having survived it all and stayed out of permanent trouble. Let's just enjoy it as long as we can, or until the wine runs out.

Anonymous said...

Oh how this wonderfully written entry has made me want to reclaim my 20's. I really do think I would change some things and have much more fun this time around...

Tabor said...

You are right about grandchildren. After this lovely holiday, and with my daughter being a little under the weather, I actually felt adventurous enough to volunteer to take the tyke for the rest of the week while she went home and rested up...fortunately, she knew I had had a little too much eggnog and bourbon and wasn't thinking straight. Adventurous living is only for the young, I am afraid.

Bonita said...

I raised 5 children, then helped raise a grand-daughter. I have yet to recover from 'the blur'. However, your post makes me hopeful, and I do count my many blessings.

kenju said...

So, what you are saying is that your holiday was frenetic and frenzied?

Robert Brady said...

the freneticity and frenziness are even now occurring...