Monday, December 18, 2006


GOSH,
TIME, THANKS... I'D ALSO LIKE TO THANK MY MOTHERBOARD...

I really don't know what to say, Time, this is all so unexpected, I was just putting on my socks this morning as my computer booted up when I saw I'd been honored by your cover as Person of the Year. It was a bit of a shock, let me tell you.

It's the first time for me, and needless to say I certainly never expected to be in the same company as Hitler and Khomeini, or to this year beat out candidates like Ahmadinejad, Hu, Kim, James Baker and all those other individuals I'd rather not be lumped together with, if the truth be known. As I say, I hadn't expected this at all, ever since I decided I'd much rather hit the road than aspire to be CEO of a major corporation or run for the US presidency, so I can't really convey to you how unexpected this is... I've been blogging for nearly five years now, and youtubing for a while, though myspace never really did it for me...

To tell you the truth, I've never thought of myself as "the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year, for better or for worse," let alone "seizing the reins of the global media, for founding and framing the new digital democracy, for working for nothing and beating the pros at their own game..." Fact is, I've just been putting one foot ahead of the other in a journey of general delight and discovery, with an eye always on the horizon, though of course no one conveys my own perceptions as well as I can, and the same goes for everyone, except perhaps salaried journalists. As a veteran traveler I've always known that distant news of local areas is sketchy at best, especially when you want to charge for it. I understand your difficulty.

I owe so much to so many. First of all, I'd like to thank my motherboard; my keyboard and server too, of course, and how could I not mention silicon, I couldn't have done it without them and Farnsworth, Einstein, Edison, those guys, Maxwell, Newton as well, all the way back to Aristotle and his students, the inventor of the wheel for getting it all rolling, the woman who mastered fire, I'm standing on the shoulders of so many giants it's pathetic, I really don't deserve this, but then again it's only a dead-tree weekly cover, so I won't let it go to my head... thank you anyway, thank you, it's an honor, now if all you reporters and cameramen will stand back a bit so I can find my other sock...

4 comments:

Chancy said...

Robert

In the words of the imortal Sally Fields
"They like you, they really like you"

Anonymous said...

Ahemmmm... Robert, I hate to breqak the news to you out in public like this, but you have this all wrong. Must be your misinterpretation of the news, being morning and groggy and not even having your socks on yet.

Time has honored me. I can prove it by the cover of my own copy. So you should drop the dreaming and delusions. Come on back to reality where Winston is Person of the Year...

Joy Des Jardins said...

Robert...you are a bona fide gem! And you know what? You deserve to be on the cover of Time...even tho Winston apparently has a copy that says otherwise. I guess I'll have to go out any get my own copy and see who shows up. I'll keep you informed of any further breaking news. Congratulations!

Robert Brady said...

Thank you Joy. Winston has his copy, I have mine. And I suppose, Joy, by now you have yours. We might as well admit it: we're all coverworthy.