Wednesday, May 30, 2007


THE LAND OF THE RISING BATHTUB


You may remember my flaky post back in March about the purloined million dollar golden carp and the 100 kilo gold block that was stolen, and how amazing it was that neither precious item was actually guarded or otherwise secured...

After the latter theft, I figured that anybody else in the country who had anything sizeable made out of the Midas stuff would take heed and make haste to secure their equity; well I was wrong. But in an oddly gestaltic way, it is comforting to realize that trust is so hard to kill in Japan.

Turns out that a certain hotel's famous crane-flanked golden bathtub, 176 pounds of 18kt gold worth about a million dollars, was not fastened to the floor or surveilled, and was secured simply by a chain across the door. Last night, the chain was cut and the bathtub stolen. Nobody saw anything. As the hotel's website says, the tub is only available a few hours a day, for security reasons...

Some folks never change. As for me, I figure that anybody else in the country who has anything sizeable made out of the Midas stuff will take heed and make haste to secure their equity.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Somewhat off-topic, Bob, and I apologize, but I just saw from your profile that you're from Albany. My sister lives in Columbia County, and I'm up and down the Taconic Parkway from time to time. It's actually one of my favorite roadways.

Chancy said...

What a shame about the beautiful, golden tub. I hope they don't melt it down to sell the gold.

Eric Pyle said...

Bob seems to know QUITE A LOT about this gold robbery business... Anybody check his garden shed recently?

Robert Brady said...

Michael, in the day, the Taconic was my fave too; whenever I wasn't in a rush to NYC or back, that's the road I traveled.

Chancy, I somehow doubt that the thieves are bathing in luxury...

Eric, I didn't do it, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything.

Anonymous said...

Aaaw, I wish I could bathe in a golden tub just once--jeez.