Tuesday, December 29, 2009


SUPERVISITATION


Heard an odd sound outside yesterday afternoon, like a small mob of elves sneaking over a field of pink and green marshmallows as quietly as they could while dragging bags full of giggles, hoping to surprise an unsuspecting grandfatherly person who lives in a house on the side of a mountain in an oriental countryside, so I did what any such elderperson would do in similar circumstances: I put my ear to the door, the better to grasp the situation and make counter-surprise preparations, when the bell rang serially just as the door was pulled wide open and the entire living room filled up with squeals as I was engulfed in fresh cold air filled with six arms of three granddaughters who varoomed in through the doorway like a sixlegged yellstorm and whirled around me in the cutest smiling vortex I ever saw, hugging me all over and yelling Bobu-san! and caroming off to bounce around the big room, looking up and down and around to see what had changed and what was still there, while I spun a moment in the vestibule trying to slow my whirl so I could see and walk, talk and so forth. Then we got down to the intense part of the visit, where things happen really fast.

5 comments:

Robert Brady said...

Just a note, to anyone who might be wondering: I suppose when we get older we tend to forget such things, but everybody used to know that pink and green marshmallows have distinctly different sounds when elves walk on them.

Mage said...

Of course they do.....as do yellow and orange ones.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Beautiful...loved this post Bob.

Oh, and of course I was aware of the marshmallow info in your comment...isn't everyone?

Mary Lou said...

Glad to read about the ELVES! Kaya must be almost 10 now right?

Robert Brady said...

The Millennium Girl was 9 years old on 01-01-10.