Thursday, May 05, 2011

 
BULBUL GETS OUTPLAYED

I was outdoors just now hanging some CDs over my strawberries. I do this because of the hiyodori. That's the brown-eared bulbul, who with his small tribe has been ravaging the tsubaki flowers for the past couple weeks there beside the garden, where he can keep a good beady black eye on my strawberries as they flower and swell into the sweet redness that he so loves.

He got squawkingly upset when he saw me doing something near his strawberries: I was putting up some old CD copies to dangle spinning and flashing in the breeze above the deluxe fruity enjoyments that are in fact as mine as anything can be that does not involve monkeys (regarding whom all bets are off when it comes to outdoor mineness), but this was the hi-tech, teachable me vs. a one-track bird who, working on this small portion of my vast ignorance, last year got my strawberries.

This year will be different. He can't read worth a damn of course, so for all he knew this could be anybody from Dylan to Beethoven to Miles Davis to Frank Zappa to Lou Reed; this could be Fiddy Cent, this could be Lady Gaga. Take that, bird. Boy did he screech, so clearly not knowing which was what.

My strawberries look sweeter already...


4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Very smart!. My grandpa use to hang pie tins... I bet when the sun hits those cd's those birds go flyin' off! lol

pserean said...

Hmmm. Who bit a live bat's head off ? Ozzy Osbourne? Yeah..it could be Him.

brrrrr....
Birds know all the gossip...they won't be chancing that, hey ;)

Mage said...

You are in charge of YOUR strawberries....hopefully.

Tabor said...

Strawberries and rock and roll...wasn't that the Beatles with Strawberry Fields Forever.