Thursday, April 06, 2006


AH, THE INNOCENCE...


I was chatting for quite a while with 5-year-old Kaya on the phone last night, now that she's old enough to be able to chat at length without just listening at the phone like at a keyhole, the way her 2-year-old twin sisters (Mitsuki and Miasa) still do.

Talking about her typical day in school and swimming class, and how the twins are always fighting but she never is, Kaya spoke so intelligently that in her physical absence I was lulled into forgetting that her mind is still only 5 years old.

As I kept asking her when she was coming to visit us again (as I do every time we call her) and pointing out that Echo and I are the only ones staying in this big old house, that we have lots of room and the frogs are singing, so she could come and stay anytime, she said that she was very busy these days (the frenzied modern 5-year-old lifestyle), then suggested brightly: "Why don’t you and Echo just have some more babies so you'll have somebody to play with when I'm not there?” I didn't know what to say to that, so I just listened at the phone like at a keyhole.

8 comments:

Tabor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tabor said...

Response: You don't just want some more babies; you want the loveable, precious, super intelligent, fun loving, irreplaceable KAYA!

Robert Brady said...

The absolute one and only!

Mary Lou said...

LOLOL I LOVE their minds!!!

Chancy said...

Robert ...I love it. Kaya and my 7 year old granddaughter, Susanna, would get along famously.Both quick with the quick come back and so lovable.

Chancy.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Well? Makes total sense to me...I'm with Kaya. Come on, Grandpas can fix ANYTHING.

Anonymous said...

You just made my day!!!! I love your punchline.
Was sent here by Chancy and I'm sure to be back :)

Robert Brady said...

Thanks, folks; always glad to share the Kaya Experience!