Saturday, March 12, 2005


TALE OF AN OLD CHEESE FACTORY


Back in my long-ago days when I lived in the long-ago States I used to spend a lot of time camping and traveling, and one of the reasons I used to do that - in a seasonal manner - was to get the old-fashioned roadside-marketed goods that were on offer. Prominent among those were the local cheeses - I can still taste that home-made Vermont cheddar...

It was in that expat-nostalgia frame of mind that I posted my U.S. NATIONAL DAIRY COUNCIL HAS A HISSY FIT mini-diatribe below. In response to my lament-comment [Some good old-time cheddar cheese...], Don Weiss advised me to check out the Bandon Cheese Factory in Oregon, which I did.

The following is what I found...

Bandon Cheese Factory closes

Tillamook County Creamery Association is abandoning Bandon Cheese Factory


*


TILLAMOOK CHEESE CLAIMS OWNERSHIP OF BANDON

As has been widely circulated over the last few weeks, Tillamook Cheese has been making certain claims regarding their ownership of the word "Bandon,"...


*


-- Bandon
Our famous Bandon Cheese Factory is a favorite place for all visitors to stop by and see. Noted for our ever popular cheese curds and huge ice cream cones, we also have one of the finest assortments of home made cheeses anywhere in the country. The unique flavor and the recognized quality of our products is why we are still in business today.


*

The Bandon Cheese Factory [Not Found The requested URL /cheesefactory/ was not found on this server.

*

The End of an Era

Today we finally opened our last block of Bandon Hazelnut Cheddar Cheese


*


Something's Rotten in Tillamook

"Oregon Coast Cheese" is actually made in Wisconsin.


"I think it's terrible that they're acting like it's still made in Oregon," Janice says. "I'm sure it's all about making more money. It's false advertising."

*

The Oregon Cheese Wars Continue

As I blogged a few weeks ago, the folks in Bandon are not at all happy with the Tillamook County Creamery Association, the cooperative that makes Tillamook Cheese.


*


Council tells creamery to stop using 'Bandon'


BANDON - The Bandon City Council sent a clear message to the Tillamook County Creamery Association on Monday night:

Stop using our name.



The loss goes on

No comments: