Friday, November 25, 2005


GOOD THING I LIVE ON A MOUNTAIN


According to recent scientific studies, which are the best kind, the sea level rise has doubled in 150 years, and I suspect will get to be a problem by about the time I reach 160 or so, when seacoasts are predicted to be hundreds of meters inland from where they are now, which means, among other things, that Coney Island is in trouble. Similar recent studies have also revealed that atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are the highest they've been in 650,000 years, which goes back to before I was born.

So with the globe warming around us and the seas already lapping at our toes, it looks like mountainsides like this one are the place to be, in preference to nearly all the world's big cities, just-about-sea-level places that will all too soon resemble Venice without the beauty, tradition or tourism. But the Venetians did their city on purpose; what are our great-grandchildren going to tell their children?

3 comments:

Colin said...

As a child might say would say in Scotland. It wasn't me. A big boy did it and ran away...

Tabor said...

Yeah, and they are now thinking of pumping tons of water under Venice between the island and below the clay surface and are hoping to keep the city above water. Sounds weird to me!

Robert Brady said...

Many more bizarre solutions, on many cities, will be observed by my grandchildren!